Saturday 14 July 2012

FoF 2012

The Foot Or Flybubble 2012 challenge is kinda like the Red Bull X-alps but without the mountains and over just one day.  Like last years X-alps it's also been hit by unseasonable weather, the full story of my first attempt is at the Flybubble website and whilst it runs to the end of July I'll be unable to have another crack before the Nordics.


Here's a summary of the key learning points...

  • Start at your chosen take off, don't waste an hour walking to the course before you start
  • Stuff goes in zipped pockets or is securely tied onto straps
  • Take food and drink with you, especially drink
  • Run fast, fly slow, maintain altitude on the ground and in the air if you can
  • Make your decisions before you arrive at the point you need to think about them
  • Pack quick, save time, if you're sure it's good then unpack and launch
  • When choosing a field from the air, don't forget to spot where the gate is
  • Take your pack off when jumping fences
  • Smart phones are really just phones... they are no substitute for proper maps and GPS
  • Be prepared for the weather to change, don't forget the hat
Here endeth the lessons, hope you enjoy the vid (& pics)
thank you to
my gorgeous wife for letting me loose
the flybubble team for the top class support, kit & organisation
the people behind rasp for actually being able to provide a useful met interpretation
the X-alps athletes for inspiration
the person who found my helmet
the people who own the fields I 'occupied' for a while

and most of all
John for driving me there, back and collecting me when I really couldn't face any more


No comments:

Post a Comment