Tuesday 24 July 2012

C+ = must try harder

No goal today, 111km for circa 95km actual via a much bigger zig zag across the flats then hopefully an 'easy' run to Organya...

I actually got a really good start but had an awful preparation period and conditions on take off were tricky so I was far from settled. Alternating between being gift wrapped in Enzos and Icepeaks and getting a kicking at the inversion does nothing for pre task jitters.

I then proceeded to ruin my good start by topping up to Tp2, I should've stuck longer with the gaggle and ended low and on my own after Tp2. Fighting the headwind all the way back down the ridge was tough and I couldn't work out where would be best to make the jump behind.

In the end I opted for about 2km shy of the canyon. Occasionally I'd be with others but I was flying my own route now. A succession of low saves followed and I got back in the game at Tp3.

It wasn't clear here who was heading for Tp4 or who was off to Tp5 so I didn't wait to find out but pressed on low. Every stage felt like there was a headwind but there were still triggers pumping from the terrain. I could gain 1,000m but would suffer massive sink pushing to Tp4. I got decked just over halfway but lucked into an amazingly easy retrieve. Much tougher 3hrs in the air together with poor preparation did for me today.

Must work harder for height tomorrow (& take fleece, void bladder, trust gps, be ready to launch before briefing, etc)

I sort of feel C+ is a little generous, but making the start is a challenge in itself somedays...

No comments:

Post a Comment