Monday 23 July 2012

Day1 85km via 5tp

85km looks intimidating when you've not done 8km this year, seeing as how that attitude puts / keeps you on the ground I set off with a 'let's just make the start' mindset.

The task was out and back to start then across the canyon to the east for a turnpoint before zig zagging in 'flats' behind to goal at the lake. I blew the start tagging it late and low. It's impressive watching the mass start but frustrating not be in it. Serves me right for launching 25mins after the window.

Getting back to tp1 was troublesome too, more than one occasion I thought I'd blown it, I could see others above 2,500m but couldn't get near myself. Crossing the canyon was easier than it looked and I started to catch some that had left me behind. Tp3 was the toughest part, strong climbs, no real landing until way off course and really choppy in the air. I decided to back track along the ridge to conserve altitude on the run to Tp4.

The first couple of km from the ridge were really rough & sinky but my line along the ridge paid off and I was able to tag the turn easily enough. On the way to Tp5 the clouds came out and with it a chance to get really high. Now there was a head wind all the way to goal.

The run to ess was ok but the 8:1 required didn't factor the 12:1 needed to clear the terrain. I had to ease up and conserve height and lost a place to Marko, he nearly didn't make the landing. Got down ok, chuffed to bits with the good start to the week. There were 50+ in goal so hopefully I'm in the top half. If I just make goal every day I'll be happy.

As an aside, I was too busy in the air to take pics and I'm blogging from my phone... maybe I can borrow a laptop to provide some eye candy tomorrow.

Laters, Px

No comments:

Post a Comment